Established just south of downtown Los Angeles in 1952, a small hydraulic seal house called AC DePuydt, Inc was started by our founder, “Duke” DePuydt. The company supported the local industries within the greater Los Angeles area, growing along with the companies for whom they provided their expertise in hydraulic and pneumatic sealing.
In the late 60’s the company changed ownership, with George “Mac” MacInerny taking control of the small seal house. The company continued to prosper, and soon it was clear that the old East 14th Street location was becoming too small to hold the expanding business. In 1975, Mac decided to move his operations to a warehouse on East Washington Boulevard in the city of Commerce.
Business continued to grow, and AC DePuydt became a well-known name in the hydraulic industry. Word of mouth was good to AC DePuydt, Inc. New customers found that they could get just what they needed, quickly and affordably, from a company with excellent customer service and a knowledgeable staff. They also knew that they could always count on getting hard to find items and custom parts, that was Mac’s specialty.
Mac passed away in 1990, and it was only a matter of time until the business changed ownership again.
A longtime associate of Mac’s, Douglas Held would become the next owner of AC DePuydt, Inc. Doug had a corporate CPA background, and he had been involved with AC DePuydt since the early 70’s.
He knew the books, and his son Robert Gallwey, knew how to run the operations. In 1991, A.C. DePuydt, Inc. opened its doors under its new management. A few years later, in 1994, Doug’s younger son Darren Held joined the company to help usher in the computer era at AC DePuydt, Inc. This was just the first step towards a never-ending commitment of using technology to improve customer satisfaction, reduce error and to keep prices low.
As the year 2000 approached, it was evident that the expanding inventory was beginning to stretch the limits of the warehouse on Washington Blvd, so it was decided that moving to a larger warehouse was the only solution. Our next move would only take us two blocks from our old location, to a 10,000 square foot warehouse at 5843 Sheila Street.
As we entered the 2020’s , we started putting together tomorrow’s management group and building our foundation for the next 40 years, by adding employees with extensive practical hydraulic experience, and continually making technical improvements to insure customer satisfaction. We are also adding new lines; hydraulic components (pumps, motors, valves, etc.) and OEM seal kits, expanding our custom seal program, improving our FDA selections, while maintaining an extensive inventory of seals and packings for hydraulic and pneumatic industry.
Today we’re still as committed to the mission as Duke was in 1952. We’re working to increase the level of customer satisfaction with improved service, striving to offer customers the lowest prices in the industry, and we look forward to assisting you in the future!